3. Environmental Sensitivity: Things such as exposure to tobacco smoke, loud noise, chemical cleaners, and/or bright lights often intensify or bring on FM symptoms.
4. Muscle and Joint Stiffness can occur frequently, especially in the mornings and after prolonged sitting.
5. Muscle Spasms: Cramps, “Charlie horses,” RLS (restless leg syndrome) are common, especially during the night, thus interfering with sleep.
6. Exhaustion: Sleep deprivation can lead to exhaustion and insomnia (lack of sleep) is a common FM issue. This can lead to chronic fatigue, causing energy levels to crash.
7. Concentration Problems: Brain or “cognitive” function is a frequent problem affecting short term memory, information retention, “mental fog”, trouble concentrating/staying on task, and at times, dizziness.
8. Chronic Headaches: Tension and stiffness in the neck, shoulders, and upper back often results in tension and / or migraine headaches. Environmental triggers may be associated with the headache onset such as smells, light, or loud sounds (see #3).
9. Bowel Problems: FM and conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) often co-exist which can cause diarrhea and constipation, often changing back and forth. Here, a change in diet can be particularly helpful!
10. Depression: Like IBS, depression and FM are commonly matched and it often arises from having to deal with chronic, amplified pain, not being able to participate in family or social events, and low energy levels. This can be a “vicious cycle” as the more that activity interference occurs, the greater the risk/level of depression. This can lead to becoming afraid to walk, exercise, and getting out, which can feed the depression.
Obviously, there are many other signs and symptoms commonly associated with FM, but these seem almost “universal.” Next month, we will look at ways to “beat” these 10 common complaints and offer some treatment solutions! Chiropractic care has been found to greatly facilitate FM sufferers and is an important player in managing the FM patient.
If you, a friend or family member requires care for Fibromyalgia, we sincerely appreciate the trust and confidence shown by choosing our services!
Content Courtesy of Chiro-Trust.org. All Rights Reserved.